Search Engines, what a luxury they are! For they are a real comfort to those bootlegging myriad of extrajudicial poppin’ pills, which frequently include Steroids! These pills are often based on various male sex hormones that lead to the development of secondary male sexual characteristics, for instance, testosterone. They are medically termed as Androgens & Anabolic Steroids, although on the street, they are better known as – juices, toners or candy!
As their name suggests, these steroids have both anabolic and androgenic effects. Through a combination of these effects, anabolic steroids stimulate muscle formation leading to increased muscle mass and strength. Some of the most commonly used steroids, both medicinally as well as otherwise, include, but are not limited to:
1. Prednisone: It is a dehydrogenated analogue of cortisol which is used as an anti-inflammatory drug in the treatment of arthritis and as an immunosuppressant. Thus, it is used in a wide range of autoimmune diseases such as severe asthma, allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, and to prevent and treat rejection in organ transplantation.
2. Nandrolone: It is an androgen (trade names: Durabolin or Kabolin) that is used to treat testosterone deficiency or breast cancer or osteoporosis. The positive effects of the drug include muscle growth, appetite stimulation, increased red blood cell production and increased bone density.
3. Equipoise: It is an anabolic steroid developed for veterinary use, mostly for treatment of horses. It has low androgenic activity and is often used by bodybuilders for adding strength and size because it increases the appetite. It is well known for increasing vasculature.
4. Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA): It is the most abundant androgen secreted by the adrenal glands. Some reports are indicative of its role in the aging process as circulating levels of DHEA peak at age 25 and then steadily decline with age. DHEA deficiencies in older individuals have been associated with a number of medical conditions including breast cancer and cardiovascular disorders and thus it has been suspected for potent anti-ageing roles.
5. Anavar: It was designed as an extremely mild anabolic and has been extensively used for treatment of alcoholic hepatitis, Turner’s syndrome, and weight loss caused by HIV. This steroid works well for the promotion of strength and duality muscle mass gains; although it’s mild nature makes it less than ideal for bulking purposes.
6. Winstrol: The anabolic properties of Winstrol are mild in comparison to many other steroids and thus, it is stacked with other testosterone-based anabolic steroids. It increases strength without excess weight-gain, promotes vasculature and is thus pretty famous amongst body builders.
7. Steranobol: Chemically, steranobol has a chloro- group added at the 4-position of testosterone. It is an artificial, synthetic androgenic steroid with anabolic effects similar to testosterone. It is frequently used illegally to improve physical performance in sports and athletics and thus, is prohibited by many sports authorities, including the International Olympic Committee.
8. Testosterone: Testosterone itself has been taken externally to enhance muscle development, strength, and endurance. They do so directly by increasing the protein synthesis in muscle cells. As a result, muscle fibers become larger and repair faster than they do normally.
9. Tetrahydrogestrinone: It is a structurally modified anabolic androgenic steroid that is prohibited in sports. It was developed to flim-flam the sports authorities via manipulation of another prohibited substance to illicitly enhance sports performance.
10. Clenbuterol: It is a widely used bronchodilator in many parts of the world. In animal studies, clenbuterol has shown to exhibit anabolic activity which is a highly attractive attribute for pixilated sportspersons. It is known to directly stimulate the adipose tissue and accelerate the breakdown of triglycerides to form free fatty acids. It is used as a pre-contest drug.